I was 6 weeks pregnant when I visited the Galapagos Islands and the only soup that made me feel better from first trimester nausea and altitude change was Locro de Papa. Since then, I have enjoyed making it at home. My husband enjoys at least 4 bowls of this soup each time I cook it. My son has learned to LOVE this soup too and we all look forward to Fall when I start cooking soups again after a Summer break.
This year, I decided to make my life much simpler and adapt most of my recipes for the Instant Pot. It saves so much of my time! I don’t have to sauté or sweat the vegetables and I don’t have to be on standby in my kitchen to watch anything by the stove. Instead, I load up the Instant Pot, set it, and find some extra time for myself. The best thing is the soups come out tasting just as good. Win-Win!
Easy and Quick Instant Pot Vegan/Vegetarian Locro de Papa: Ecuadorian Potato and Cheese Soup (8 servings)
Place in Instant Pot in order:
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3# Russet Potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 c water or veggie broth
- 1 1/2 c your choice of milk, I used Rice Milk here but have used Soy before. The color and consistency will be different according to the milk you use. The former will be thinner and more translucent in color, while the latter will be thicker and more opaque. The taste doesn’t change that drastically, but it’s prettier with a more opaque milk – but we are trying to avoid Soy.
Set on manual for 10 minutes. When done, you can allow the pressure to come down naturally or do a quick release. Mash the potatoes well and add to melt:
- 6 oz your choice of cheese: vegetarians can use queso fresco, while vegans can use a mozzarella type of vegan cheese
- 2 t sea salt
- lots of avocados
- cilantro or scallions (I didn’t have either for the photos… but boy would that have looked beautiful)