I have been baking Vegan Ensaymadas this past week and wondered if I could ease the process by using my bread machine. Good news… it works! This method takes 3 1/2 hours instead of 9 hours.
Easy Bread Machine Whole Wheat Brioche Buns
Put all the following ingredients in order in your bread machine:
- 1/2 c warm water
- 3 Tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 9 Tbsp water
- 6 Tbsp Earth Balance butter, you need for a buttery taste. If you want to substitute an oil, I would suggest Coconut Oil. This would naturally give your brioche a more coconut flavor, instead of a buttery one. Your choice.
- 9 Tbsp Sucanat, or your choice of sweetener
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour*
- 1 1/2 c bread flour*
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
*I wanted this recipe to be hardier than the light and fluffy Ensaymadas from my previous post: less of a pastry and more of a bread. If you want to create the more fluffier, softer, and lighter Ensaymadas, use unbleached all purpose flour or spelt or whole wheat pastry flour.
Set to dough stage. When done, take the dough out and divide it into 12 portions.
Making the Buns
To Make Brioche in Brioche Molds:
- follow this recipe here after the 3 hour rising period. However, allow the brioche to rest uncovered for only 45 – 60 minutes before baking.
To Make Easy Brioche Buns:
- roll each of the 12 portions into a ball
- place on a prepared baking sheet (greased or lined with Silpat mat or parchment paper)
- flatten into a bun
- allow to rest uncovered for 45 – 60 minutes
- bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- if the under side of the buns are too soft, you can turn the buns over and bake for another 10 minutes. This should crisp all sides of the buns well.
These whole wheat brioche buns are sweeter, softer, and fluffier than ordinary hamburger or hot dog buns, but hardier than the Vegan Ensaymadas I made earlier. These are perfect for sandwiches with fillings that tend to fall out easily, like Sloppy Joes. I also used them for Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches and Vegan Burgers last night.