Fresh out of college during my omnivore years, I worked in the city and one of my favorite lunches of all time was Curried Chicken Salad. This wonderful blend of salty, sweet, and spicy creaminess was a sublime contrast to my boring plastic work desk. I could eat tubs of this stuff and pretend to be in La La Land.
Recently, we visited my in-laws and I noticed that my husband ate four chicken salad sandwiches in a matter of a few days. I guess he loves that stuff too. So, it’s been on my mind to create a Vegan version that both he and I would love.
Success! This Curried Chickpea Salad is just delicious with its complex mix of textures and flavors. This makes a tremendously creamy and rich sandwich that I could probably eat everyday.
Cray-Cray for Curried Chickpea Salad
Mix all together in a bowl:
- 1/2 c Vegan mayonnaise (substitute mashed avocado with lemon juice if you want to stay away from mayo)
- 1/4 c mango chutney
- 1 Tbsp curry, or to taste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 c cooked and drained chickpeas (mash some of the chickpeas so that you get a thicker salad texture)
- 1/3 c chopped celery
- 1/3 c chopped scallions
- 1/3 c cranberries or raisins
- 1/3 c roasted walnuts, optional
Mix well together and allow flavors to blend for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Creamy and Rich Vegan Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
We have tried this salad mix with whole wheat bread, white bread, hamburger buns, and brioche buns. Hands down, nothing compares to this winning combination: Curried Chickpea Salad with BRIOCHE BUNS!
- whole wheat bread is too dense for this salad and the subtleties of each flavor are lost. If you insist on whole wheat bread, then I would suggest an open sandwich.
- white bread is better than whole wheat bread, but not by much.
- whole wheat hamburger bun is better than either former breads, but the full flavors of the salad does not shine.
- on a brioche bun… it is AMAZING! The blend of flavors are highlighted throughout each bite. Did I tell you yet that I could eat this for lunch everyday? Try it on my Easy Bread Machine Vegan Whole Wheat Brioche Buns or Vegan Ensaymada.
I thought I was cray-cray for my Curried Chickpea Salad, but eating it on a Sweet Brioche Bun is dreamy. Gotta go. My La La Land lunch is calling…