I never knew Meatball Subs existed until my then boyfriend (now husband) and I went to eat at a sandwich place and he ordered a huge foot long Meatball Sub. How can anyone eat such a gigantic meat sandwich? Anyway, I made this Vegan Meatball Sub especially for him in memory of that date so many years ago. And yes, he can eat at least two of these in one sitting. Ummm… actually, so can I.
Easy Vegan Lentil Meatballs
Mix together in a bowl:
- 2 c cooked lentils, drained
- 1 c quick oats
- 1/2 c wheat germ (you can substitute ground sunflower seeds or flax seeds, if you want)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce (depending on what you are going to do with the meatballs, you can substitute this with ketchup or BBQ sauce or another type of sauce)
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Mix together well to incorporate all the ingredients. Form into balls. There will be around 18 – 20 pieces around 1 1/2″ in diameter. You can make your balls smaller for appetizer portions or bigger for burgers, whatever suits you.
Brown the Meatballs
You could roll the balls in whole wheat flour, but I don’t feel this is necessary because they will be dunked in sauce anyway.
Also, both methods (below) work, but I prefer method 1 because of the way they brown and the way they stay intact once in the sauce. If you don’t have time to keep watch over the stovetop, then method 2 works just fine.
Method 1 Sauté: spray a non-stick pan (I use ceramic and stay away from teflon) with grape seed oil. Cook all sides of the meatballs until browned.
Method 2 Bake: bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 10 minutes. Turn meatballs over on the other side and bake another 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
Easy Tomato Sauce
Place in a slow cooker:
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes with basil (or plain and add 1 tsp dried basil)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 onion, halved
Cook on low for 3 – 4 hours. Or you can simmer it for an hour or so on the stove. Discard the onions or use in another recipe.
Mix the Meatballs with the Sauce
When both the sauce and meatballs are done cooking, gently combine them to make sure they are heated through. Serve immediately. Do not overcook together as the balls may begin to fall apart.
NOTE: if you want ground meat in the sauce instead of meatballs in your sauce, you can add the meatballs to the sauce in the slow cooker and cook together for an hour or more. The longer you cook the meatballs in the sauce, the more soggy they will get. The sauce will resemble ground meat sauce. Both ways are delicious!
Mama’s Got Balls: Assembling the Subs
You will need:
- Vegan Meatballs with sauce (from above)
- big size hot dog buns from Vegan Hot Dog recipe or your choice of bread
- your choice of vegetables: caramelized onions, spinach or other
- your choice of toppings and other sauces
Slice buns, add in your choice of vegetables, Vegan Meatballs with sauce, and toppings. Enjoy!
Other Ways of Serving
- with Pasta
- over Polenta
- over Rice
- small balls as Appetizers served with sauce on the side
- serve with BBQ sauce instead