I asked my brother what kind of soap he wanted me to make him. He chose Lemon and Charcoal Bastille Soap.
Now, my brother is a very masculine man. He has a strong personality with Oriental preferences and a Zen-like attitude.
I wanted to create Lemon and Charcoal soaps that reminded me of him, that somehow captured his sensibility.
Handmade. Just for my little brother.
- 30% coconut oil
- 70% olive oil
- lye (NaOH)
- run it through my fave soap calculator to get the amount you want
At trace, divide the batch into 2:
- to 2/3 of the batch – add 1 tsp lemon peel powder and 1 oz lemon essential oil/pound
- to 1/3 of the batch – add 1 T charcoal/pound
I used an old soymilk carton as my mold:
- pour most of the charcoal batch into the mold
- carefully pour all the lemon batch on top of the charcoal layer
- use a spoon to slightly mix the two layers together
- spoon the rest of the charcoal mixture on the top
- decorate as you wish
- spray with alcohol to prevent formation of soda ash
- cover with a towel and allow to gel for 24 hours
- unmold after 24 hours and slice
- cure for 4 – 6 months