This Vegan Mama Cooked Lamb

31 Oct

Photo Oct 30, 18 57 56003

I chopped a lamb’s leg yesterday morning. I haven’t done that in over 7 years. It was a weird feeling. I had gloves on, washed my hands really well, and even showered, yet the odor of meat still stuck to me for the rest of the day. I roasted the meat for dinner and the smell pervaded the house even more.  I had forgotten how cooked lamb smells. I had forgotten how much cleaning is involved in preparing fresh meat. I had forgotten how the rubbish smells the day after, and worse, the days after that.

Vegans: don’t judge me.

After three years of Vegan food at home, my family has started craving animal products with an intensity I had not seen before.  It was time for me to be sensitive to their wants and needs too. They have asked for meat once a week. They also asked for more Vegetarian meals. It has been a difficult transition for me. I am relearning how to cook with butter, eggs, dairy, and meats. I struggle having to create two separate balanced meals: one for them and one Vegan for me. At certain times, I have broken down and eaten some of their foods because I honestly had no time left in my day to make any for myself.

As I strive to understand my family and how our kitchen is changing, I remember what my friend Ian told me: it is important that I grow together with my family, and not grow apart.

Yes, this is what I choose to do.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “This Vegan Mama Cooked Lamb”

1. Gaia October 31, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Hello Mama
    I was touched by your letter. I am eating raw for the most part and periodically eat meat with my husband.
    My approach is to feel good and not stressed by the dichotomy of two people having different needs. Love is about compromise and you are being loving to your family by being attentive to their needs and I am sure as they are, to your needs. You are also so amazing to find the time for such a wonderful blog you created and I’m sure many of us are so grateful. Ultimately food is a very intimate choice that we all need to make for ourselves and really there is no place for judgment.Thank you for being there for us!

• TIK November 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

Thank you for commenting, Gaia. Thank you for being open too! I think I have lost a lot of readers in the recent months for being open to my family making their own diet choices. But I feel very blessed for you and for the others that have stuck around during our transition. It is a personal choice, and really… I’m glad I’ve learned not to judge. Thank you again for stopping by!

2. Dee October 31, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

No judging. Sometimes our bodies tell us we need things that our heads (and experts) tell us we don’t. Some bodies need it more than others. I had to add it back. I couldn’t put on any weight and my muscles were wasting even though I was consuming lots of vegetable protein. I still feel guilty, but I obviously needed it. Just the difference in my hair and nails lets me know I simply wasn’t getting all I needed with plants alone.

• TIK November 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Thank you for your comment, Dee! I appreciate it. 😉

3. Kelly Johnson November 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I don’t think anybody should be judging you! Food/diet/nutrition is such a personal thing and only YOU know what your body needs/ if you decide you want to enjoy/have no choice but to eat non vegan things, well that’s alright 🙂 As humans we are not perfect, you do your part by providing for your family and if that means meat/dairy, it’s all good sister. We are on this Earth to support and empower one another, not beat down! Go you. Keep cookin! (and eating raw :D)

• TIK November 6, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Thank you Kelly! Appreciate your comment! 😉 maybe I just feel insecure that my readers will reject me and how things have changed in my life. Thank you for letting me know that it is ok.

4. R.G. February 7, 2015 at 9:36 pm #

Hi – why not just have your family eat meat outside of the home once a week and eat veg the rest of the week? Then you don’t have to prepare it and get the stench on your hands? Keep in mind, the stench and work is on you, not on your family members.

5. A April 5, 2015 at 10:21 am #

This was a particularly touching post. I was a vegetarian for 9 years, then started eating meat, then went through episodes of going vegan, eating raw, eating meat, eating dairy – sticking to nothing. Currently I eat a primarily vegetarian diet, with episodes of veganism lasting about a month at a time and dishes of meat/fish a few times a year. Needless to say this is difficult to communicate to people (so I usually don’t). My partner has also struggled through all of this, because when I met him he was eating almost only meat, then became an excellent vegetarian cook, then was really pleased with me eating meat, then despaired at me stopping, etc. How do you make something like this work? In the end, I think, you have to decide what you want and allow others to do so too – no one appreciates being pressured, even if it’s ‘for their own good’. And it’s okay to change your mind, whatever people might say. Perhaps it would be easier if both of you could share in the cooking as the eating needs are diverging – just as it’s important that your husband and son can eat what they wish, it is important that you can too. If you all make the effort, meal times can remain enjoyable for all of you. And who knows – they might go back to veganism in the future.

• TIK June 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks for your comment! I really didn’t know if I’d get a good reaction to this post… But I wanted to let you know that it was all positive on FB and here. So, I think there is a lot of stereotypes that Vegans are not accepting of other diets. I do think that one has to be if you are living with a family and in the community and in contact with people who don’t think like you do. I believe in people who have different opinions. I like it when I can talk to people who aren’t like me. I have my views, but I am flexible. Is that so bad?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Forget Statins for Kids: Lower LDL with a Vegan Diet | Mama in the Kitchen - June 16, 2015

[…] first response was for him to go back to a Vegan diet but he argued that he wanted to try a largely Vegetarian diet with meat a couple times a month. After 6 months, his LDL stayed basically the same around the high […]