A real curry made from scratch, my Vegan Massaman Curry is family friendly: just enough spice to satisfy parents and just sweet enough to get kids hooked on this creamy dish.
- Saute in 1/2 cup of water:
1 chopped onion
2 carrots, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
- When onion is soft, add in:
all the fresh mature coconut milk squeezed from 2 mature coconuts and 3 cups of water (recipe here)
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened. Then add in your choice of vegetables. Make sure there is enough so that the vegetables just peek out of the sauce. This way, you have a good ratio of veggies to sauce (not too much sauce leftover when the veggies are all gone and just enough sauce to eat with the veggies):
6 medium red potatoes, chopped
1 pint mushrooms, chopped
4 c broccoli florets, chopped
- Simmer until vegetables are tender around 10 – 15 minutes, then add:
6 tbspns Tamari or Nama Shoyu
5 – 6 tbspns Sucanat, to taste
2 tbspns fresh lime juice
- Mix well until well blended and sweetener is dissolved.
- Serve with Rice (we love a mix of short grain brown rice and sweet rice: cook both together with twice the amount of water for 50 minutes) and top with Salted Peanuts (we use Raw Wild Jungle Peanuts, which is available at our health food shop).