This is a Father’s Day idea for a guy that is more man than beautician. I asked my “I-don’t-even-own-a-hairbrush” husband to try some natural skin care products for men for my blog. I didn’t think he would agree, but since his friend works at Ursa Major, I think it made any persuasion much easier.
Oliver Sweatman and his partner, Emily Doyle, started Ursa Major in Vermont in 2009 because he said, “I tried a LOT of so-called ‘natural’ products and couldn’t find anything that met all of my personal criteria for a great skincare solution:
– no toxins/premium natural ingredients/as close to 100% natural as possible (and ideally, with as much organic content as possible too, although realizing that can affect price)
– great performance – the product does what it says it’s going to do on the label
– delightful experience – sublime natural aromas, delightful textures, smart packaging, copy, etc.
In other words a spirited, sincere, natural alternative to all the bland, synthetic, mass-produced stuff out there…” Their first product, the Stellar Shave Cream, was launched in December 2010.
My husband used the shaving cream, wash, toner and balm for about a month. We took before and after pictures and we don’t see any differences in the wrinkles department (a department he was not aware he had), but my husband’s very sensitive skin did not break out at all and his skin also seemed to be smoother to me.
Shaving cream usually gives hubby rashes or leaves his skin dry. He has had a hard time finding product that doesn’t make his skin break out. In fact, he won’t shave unless an event dictates the need for a clean look. Nevertheless, the Ursa Major Men Shaving Cream worked wonderfully.
The Facial Wash also worked well. For the first week, my husband’s skin was dry if he did not follow the wash by the moisturizer. This was not the case after the first week in that his face felt hydrated all the time.
My husband also noticed that the toner and wash made his hands softer but not less durable – just simply through exposure after applying cleaner/toner/balm to his face. My husband rows 5 to 6 times a week (an internationally ranked rower) and found that he was not getting any additional blisters. In fact, his palms are more flexible and softer.
For my husband, these are significant improvements due to the use of products.
Overall, my husband says these products work as well as or more than processed products for sensitive skin. They are easy enough to use for someone (a man who is) not really interested in a daily prep work for the face. If you are interested, you can find Ursa Major in various retailers around the world.
Did it pass my cosmetics criteria?
1. smell – Not much. Very mild.
2. sensitivities – None.
3. taste – I usually taste synthetic products when I put it on my face and drink water right after, but my husband’s response to this was: “How would I know, I didn’t eat the stuff!”
4. moisturize – Worked well with little dab.
5. everyday comfort – I asked my hubby if a real man would use these products everyday, his response: “Quick and Easy to use.”
6. lasting effect – yes, it lasts the whole day.
7. eco-friendly – these products do not contain any foaming agents, slip agents, surfactants, fragrances, coloring agents, preservatives, penetration enhancers, or other unnatural ingredients.