A family friend, Stephanie Rohrer, owns and runs Fox Hollow Farm in Maryland with her family. I almost visited once – but have never been. I understand they have a farm market where you can buy vegetables and fruits (along side their animal products) on their farm everyday, except for Mondays in the Winter. Stephanie also happens to be a weaver of soaps and candles for her personal company, Girvins. She uses ingredients from her farm to create candles, soaps and body creams. My family was lucky enough to test her Moon Soap – fragrance free and Vegan. Stephanie makes it herself with distilled herbal water, coconut oil, palm oil , olive oil, vitamin E and lye.
My family and I loved that her Moon Soap has no fragrance. My son loved the fact that it did a great job washing away my young son’s smelly feet! Where smell is concerned, it does a much better job than our everyday soap, Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil Bar. The soap lathers lightly with small bubbles, but lathers up well nonetheless. Stephanie said she sells a lot of her soaps to families with kids who have skin issues. I wasn’t surprised then that her soap cleans very well without drying or stripping the skin. Most importantly for busy Mamas, it doesn’t leave a greasy film on the bathroom (which olive oil soap does).
Did Girvin’s Moon Soap pass my cosmetics criteria?
1. smell – no fragrance! Loved that there was no fragrance. My son thought it smelled like cheese, but that was probably the lye.
2. sensitivities – none. This is very mild.
3. taste – not applicable.
4. moisturize – cleans very well without drying the skin or stripping skin of its natural oils.
5. everyday comfort – yes. My son’s feet especially smelled wonderfully neutral after using this soap! And it doesn’t leave a greasy film on the bathroom floor!
6. lasting effect – yes!
7. eco-friendly – All of Girvin Soaps can be customized for Vegans.