For the past 6 years, I’ve tried everything on my face from simple extra virgin organic olive oil, coconut oil and/or jojoba oil, to healthy products like Dr. Hauschka, derma e and ZIA, to Raw Vegan products like Alkaitis, and even a very high end line Cellcosmet (a very generous gift). But time and time again, I was unhappy with these products for one or more reasons: too greasy, too sticky, too drying, too expensive, and the list went on. At the end of the day, I would just go back to my same old, same old commercial cosmetics brand – a product I’ve been using for ages, very reliable, not greasy, not sticky, not drying and a product my skin just feels at home in. But, I’m not happy to report that it is rated 7 out 10 (with 10 as most toxic) by the Cosmetics Database of the Environmental Working Group.
By Word of Mouth: The Way to get Cosmetic Recommendations
Even with a great diet and with wonderful skin (people tell me all the time that they think I’m at least a decade younger than I really am), I want my face to feel hydrated and moisturized. I felt like a prune after a year of not applying anything to my face at night (Dr. Hauschka, a year was long enough for me!). Needless to say, I’m tired of experimenting, not to mention spending money on new products. So I have been asking my readers and my holistic mothers groups for recommendations. The result? This list:
– Ann Webb
– L’Ibri – these products and my skin did not get along at all!
– Mineral Fusion (for makeup)
I’ve contacted the recommended companies I have not already tried before (and a few others like Bee Yummy, Sprout, Suki, Your Right To Be Beautiful) for samples which I can test for myself and review for you! Some companies have sent a few samples, some a lot and some have not even returned my e-mail yet. So, I’ll just start reviewing products as they come.
My Cosmetics Criteria
As I review the products, these are the most important criteria for me:
- Smell – is the fragrance subtle or too much? I mean, can I sleep well with it on?
- Sensitivities – does it sting my skin or my eyes? Do I break out?
- Taste – after I apply the moisturizer does the water I drink or food I eat taste like chemicals?
- Moisturize – does it hydrate my skin deeply? I don’t want my face to feel like a desert.
- Everyday comfort – is it too greasy, sticky, shiny? Does my make up easily glide on after I apply the moisturizer? Or am I facial glue?
- Lasting effect – when I wake up the next morning, does my face still feel hydrated?
- Eco-Friendly – is it organic and vegan (or at least vegetarian)?
So, here we go!