Load Up on B12!

12 Oct

Loading up on B12!

I have I recently bought Spirulina that boasted 150% DV of Vitamin B12 in just 1 teaspoon. I like to sprinkle it on my breakfast fruit puddings a lot. But today, I’ve just been enjoying digging into my salad bowl loaded with the easiest creamy B12 dressing. I actually prefer this dressing to the Raw Caesar I posted a while back… this is so much simpler, easier and quicker to prepare! Here it is:

Mix together:

2 tbspns nutritional yeast (I have Red Star in my pantry right now, but usually use Bragg’s)
2 tbspns raw tahini
1-2 tbspns raw apple cider vinegar
6 tbspns extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste

Toss with Romaine Lettuce or other greens. Top with seeds or nuts, as you please. This makes just enough for 1!

A comparison of B12 content:

Red Star Nutritional Yeast has 130% DV of Vitamin B12 per 1 1/2 tbspns

Bragg's Nutritional Yeast has 40% DV of Vitamin B12 per 1 tablespoon

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Load Up on B12!”

1. Elizabeth Redd October 16, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

Where do you get your spirulina? I ordered some from Nutsonline and it is so fishy I can’t even eat it. Does yours taste fishy? Is it a flavor I just need to get used to?

• Mama In The Kitchen October 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

Elizabeth, this is the one we have right now and I love it!!! (http://astore.amazon.com/mamainthekitchen-20/detail/B00014WJ4K) Some people don’t like spirulina because of the ‘fishy’ taste – but I don’t give it to my family plain. I add it to smoothies (https://mamainthekitchen.com/2011/02/16/berry-spirulina-smoothie/) or sprinkle it on top of fruit puddings or in salad dressings. Let me know if that works for you! Just 1 tsp/ adult will do!

• Aimee October 22, 2011 at 4:46 am #

I also find my spirulina to be very fishy and the taste is over-powering. It’s ruined a few smoothies so now I can only drink it (chug it more like) when a teaspoon is mixed 1tsp honey, 1tbsp aloe vera juice, juice of 1/2 lemon and 100ml of water.

2. Darris December 4, 2011 at 2:03 am #

Do you put this in a blender? I’ve been concerned about B12 deficiency. I’ve been vegan for seven years and veg 25 years prior to going vegan. I have a low blood count and am experiencing issues that could be B12 related. RE spirulina ~ I am skeptical of products manufactured outside of the U.S. but will do some research.

• Mama In The Kitchen December 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I just use my fork to blend the ingredients… usually in my salad bowl. I’ve been using Red Star for our Bs because it agrees with us more than Braggs Nutritional Yest and we’ve been using Pure Hawiian Spirulina from Nutrex Hawaii Inc. How else do you add B12 to your diet?

• Darris December 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

I haven’t supplemented B12 in my diet, I don’t take any supplements but have been concerned about the B12 deficiency concerning a vegan diet. Because I’m now in my late 50’s I’m more vigilant about nutrients I may be lacking. I have about 1/2 cup of B12 fortified rice milk in my two mugs of tea per day. I will start supplementing with nutritional yeast and get my B12 levels checked. Thanks so much Carissa.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Family Friendly High Raw Vegan Sample Menu: Week 2 « - October 17, 2011

[…] Dishes: Collard Green Noodle Salad, Marinated Mushrooms, Curried Vegetables, Kale Salad, B12 Salad, your choice of other  […]

2. A Raw Mama’s Reality Check: We Need Supplements? « - December 13, 2011

[…] Yeast is back on our table.  We prefer the fortified Red Star brand.  I don’t know why but we react to Bragg’s.  I also have Hawaiian Spirulina sometimes […]