“What’s a veganist? Someone who moves toward eating a plant based diet so that they are as physically healthy as they can be, environmentally friendly, and a kind and thoughtful human being. And it’s not about being pure or strict; it’s about being informed and having fun while living according to values like kindness and thoughtfulness. Truly, I believe in progress, not perfection!”
– Kathy Freston, author of Veganist –
So, this is me, a Raw Vegan Mama in progress:
1. When explaining vegetarianism to me for the first time, my Yoga teacher explained that meat-eaters tend to be more aggressive, while vegetarians tend to be more peaceful people. I often wonder what happened to Hitler. Wasn’t he a vegetarian?
2. I was a vegetarian for 6 years and now a raw vegan for 2 years. Will I want to add cooked foods to my diet soon?
3. I’m not that selfless: I altered my diet for the health benefits, not for animal rights. The environmental impact was a bonus!
4. I do live in a Raw Vegan Mama and Cooked Carnivore Daddy household but I don’t think it’s worth fighting with my family over food…
5. …because I know the power lies with the Mama in the kitchen who buys and prepares the food. So, my family eats 50% raw vegan foods, but they are not vegans nor vegetarians by choice.
6. To keep the peace, I do buy raw dairy and cook animal products for them a few times a week. But I make sure they are organic and/or wild and/or grass-fed.
7. When I do cook, it is mostly from scratch and mostly vegetarian. I even have a flour mill to mill our own grains.
8. Sadly, my family are not always happy about what I serve them: raw or cooked. Sigh. As my guinea pigs, I know when I’ve hit their limit when my wonderfully stingy husband suggests we eat out.
9. Being a new vegan, there are items in my home that are not so vegan-friendly. A cheapskate myself, I see no reason to throw them out.
10. Right now I want to create a raw vegan alternative that is more attractive and delicious, so that my family and friends will willingly eat or drink something raw vegan… and simply enjoy it.