Berry Spirulina Smoothie

16 Feb

Berry Spirulina Smoothie

We love spirulina in smoothies.  This is one of my son’s favourites.  High in protein (50-70%) and vitamin B12, spirulina is also rich in essential fatty acids,  vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, C, D and E, and many minerals such as potassium.

Process in a high speed blender:

1 tbspn spirulina

2 dates, pitted

3 bananas

1 pint fresh organic strawberries (or blueberries)

1 cup water (more for blueberries)

Advertisements

11 Responses to “Berry Spirulina Smoothie”

1. Mel C May 31, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I would recommend that you actually read the “Spirulina” article on Wikipedia that you linked to.

It states: “Spirulina is not considered to be a reliable source of Vitamin B12. The standard B12 assay, using Lactobacillus leichmannii, shows spirulina to be a minimal source of bioavailable vitamin B12.[12]”

Being a vegan, I know how important B12 is to good health and vitality – it supports the function of red blood cells. As an example, without it, serious fatigue can occur.

Just want your readers to know that they can not count on spirulina as a source of B12. Your claim that it is high in B12 is misleading.

• Mama In The Kitchen May 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

This is a very good point Mel and I appreciate very much that you took time to point it out. Some studies claim that spirulina is a very good source of B12, some studies do not suggest the same. Spirulina is a very good source of protein too. Do you use nutritional yeast for your B12? It’s not a ‘raw’ product, but a lot of raw vegans use it. We use it too. Chlorella is also another sea vegetable that supposedly has high amounts of B12. According to Dr. Vivian V. Vetrano, “B12 coenzymes are found in nuts and seeds, as well as in many common greens, fruits and many vegetables.” According to Dr. Rick Dina, dulse supposedly contains human active B12, miso and Vitamineral Green.

• Mel C June 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

No problem, I appreciate your reply. At first I got all excited when I saw that this was a B12 source, as they’re hard to come by. I do use nutritional yeast now as well, recently a friend recommended that. I’ll have to check on the Chlorella as well. Certainly all of these wonderful ingredients have great health benefits, so I am always excited to try something new. Thanks for the suggestion!
        As a side note, I have enjoyed what I have read on your blog so far. Loving the fresh new ideas, and the health+convenience factor. Keep up the good work.

• Mama In The Kitchen June 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Thank you Mel. I really appreciate the interaction and please do let me know if you are interested in something I could write about.

2. Amanda December 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

Just made this smoothie for K & myself and we are enjoying it!! I used coconut nectar to sweeten (instead of dates which I am saving to make your chocolate cake later today) and it tastes yummy. 🙂

• Mama In The Kitchen December 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Oh yeah! Glad K likes it!!! 😉 The little ones in my life finish their servings up too!

3. Kyla August 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

How much does this make? Can you make an approximation of the serving size as I would just be making this for myself?

• Mama In The Kitchen September 5, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Hi Kyla, I’ve been out for a while. This is good for 4 people, around 3/4 – 1 cup servings. It also keeps for 3 days… so you can make it and drink some and keep some for another time.

4. Sydney Konderla April 3, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Spirulina is a blue-green alga which is believed to be the first form of plant life on earth (nearly 3.5 billion years old). Since its rediscovery in the 1960’s, Spirulina has been exhaustively and extensively tested by scientists around the world. And has proved to be the most powerful and well-balanced source of nutrition on the planet.`

Most current article produced by our personal web blog
    <,http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/beta-blockers-side-effects/

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Fast-Food Energizer Salad « Mama in the Kitchen - March 25, 2011

[…] tsp or more spirulina (did you know per volume, spirulina beats any animal product in B vitamins and […]

2. Time for Berries! « - April 17, 2012

[…] goodness is through smoothies, like “More Greens Please!” Strawberry Smoothie and Berry Spirulina Smoothie. "More Greens Please!" Strawberry […]