What’s Wrong with Animal Based Foods and Processed Foods?
If you’ve watched the recent documentary Forks Over Knives, which is now available in DVD or on Amazon Instant Video or on Netflix, the message from highly respected and reputed doctors (Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Pam Popper, Dr. Dough Lisle, Dr. Terry Mason, Dr. Neal Barnard and Drs. Matthew Lederman and Alona Pulde) is clear and simple:
- the quantity of animal based foods and processed foods consumption is directly correlated to degenerative diseases, especially heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity and even erectile disfunction.
- animal protein has shown that its addition into the diet alone can turn on and off cancer.
- a whole foods plant based diet has the power to cure many diseases.
- a whole foods plant based diet has the power to prevent many diseases.
Hospital Serves Cancer Patient Animal Based Meals and Processed Foods
Would you give an alcoholic a bottle of wine? Would you temp someone who just quit smoking with a cigarette? Then why do hospitals serve Cancer patients, and other patients who are struggling with health and possibly life itself, processed foods and animal products – the very foods that cause disease in the first place?
Last week, someone very close to my heart had a lung operation to remove cancer cells. While I was undoubtedly saddened by the news, I was appalled at what kind of food was served to her at the hospital. And this was in a very well known and respected hospital!
Her very first and subsequent drink offers at the hospital:
- ginger ale with high fructose corn syrup with loads of ice
- cranberry juice from a plastic tub (the kind that makes the juice taste like plastic)
- apple juice concentrate from Argentina and China.
She also noted that she had quite a difficult time getting the nurses to give her just plain water without ice.
Her very first meal was breakfast:
- oatmeal (the healthiest choice on the tray)
- French toast
- 2 pieces of greasy bacon (after surgery? really?) and
- canned fruit.
- turkey and gravy
- mashed potatoes (with butter?),
- green beans and grapes (at least!).
- beef stew and
- broccoli (another at least!).
Snacks: Family and friends were offered ice cream, which was full of artificial ingredients except for the first ingredient, milk.
The total ignorance in choices offered by the hospital’s food service is appalling but not really surprising. I remind myself, this is probably how many people eat. This is considered normal food. But it is wrong on so many levels.
What To Do To Change What Hospitals Feed Patients?
While many of us are unable to make drastic changes to hospital food services, we can make our choices known!
For family and friends of patients, bring better options for your loved ones:
- filtered water
- raw healthy juices
- fruits and
- easily digested vegetables (i.e. pureed soups).
For patients: ask the hospital staff if they have Vegan options.