Raw Soft Bread

16 May

Raw Bread

I grew up eating a soft bread roll called Pan de Sal. I remember how I began to love eating it after watching a commercial of a little boy salivating over a roll spread all over with Margarine (processed junk) or Condensed Milk (more processed junk). Needless to say, we don’t eat like that in my kitchen.

So, here’s a raw version that I would actually serve my own little boy! It’s soft, fluffier than other raw breads, really nutritious, tastes like bread – and it’s all unprocessed!

Process in a food processor until desired consistency:

2 tbspns unpasteurized white miso or 1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup flax meal
2 cups sprouted soft wheat berries (soak soft wheat berries overnight, drain and rinse the next day, sprout if you wish or use as is)
enough water just to create a batter, about 1/2 cup to 1 cup (just so it’s sturdy enough to mold into individual loaves)

Shape into individual loaves on Texflex sheets, place on dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 105F until dry (turning once and placing on mesh screens to quicken the process). Alternatively, dehydrate at 150F for 2 hours, turn rolls over and place directly on mesh screens, then decrease temperature to 105F for another 8 hours or so until dry.

Serve with raw salted butter and whatever else suits your fancy!

About these ads

23 Responses to “Raw Soft Bread”

1. Ginnette Badran May 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Hi Carissa,

I found your recipe on my facebook page, it was on PETA’s post. I can’t wait to try the pan de sal recipe. I also grew up eating these and now am trying to eat more raw. Thanks and good luck to you as well:)

• Mama In The Kitchen May 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Hi Ginnette, it tastes most like Pan de Sal with only 2 tbspns of miso. The bread itself will look like a round cookie on the dehydrator sheets, but it will nonetheless taste like Pan de Sal. We love it with the coconut miso butter and honey (or your choice of sweetener). I tried baking it in the oven at 350F for 30-40 minutes and it worked fine (just in case there are people out there who want unprocessed bread and don’t mind high temps). It tastes most like Pan de Sal from the dehydrator though. ;) Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think and do let me know if you have any more questions about raw foods. Best, Carissa

• Jenny May 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Glad to know that it can be prepared in an oven as while reading the recipe, I was trying to figure out how to compensate for the dehydrating steps.

I thought it a bit of ironic humor watching the video. I had expected to hear friends of yours talking about your food. ;)

You have a really great website! I have recommended it in two of my Yahoo groups: Vegetarian Diabetics and Quick-n-Good Vegetarian . I think the members will enjoy your articles as well as your recipes.

~~~~~Jenny

• Mama In The Kitchen May 29, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks Jenny! Let me know if you like it! What video are you talking about here?

• Jenny May 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

There was an “ad” video for DiGierno (sp?) Pizza. It was cute (I like their TV commercials, too), but still, the pizzas are premade. Odd that I do not see it now. I have noticed videos on some of the other pages of your site, too, but this one was the only one that I clicked on to watch. Like I mentioned, it looked like it would be a group of your friends eating this bread or something.

• Mama In The Kitchen May 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Hi Jenny… oh those ads… yes, wordpress requires that I pay more for an ad-free website… :(

• Susan November 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Hi Carissa…I just found your blog and love it. I am going to try this bread in my brand new dehydrator (so excited) and was just wondering about how long at 105 this will take? This form of not cooking/raw is new to me and I like to know what to expect. Not sure when I should start it! Thanks…

Susan

• CC November 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Hi Susan, probably half a day? I usually start it in the morning around 9am and check around after lunch. I turn it around and it should be done in another few hours. ;) If it stays too long, it may be too dry. Hope that helps. And welcome! Carissa

• Susan November 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

I have another question…I feel kind of stupid that I didn’t think of this before…but that’s how you learn, right? I have been soaking my wheat berries for a day…they’ve softened up nice. But, if I am not going to start the bread until the morning…how should I store them? I would think in a sealed mason jar in the fridge…but don’t want to mess them up!

Sent from my iPad

• CC November 11, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Hope you got my e-mail!

• Susan November 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I did Carissa…I should have gotten back to you. I guess the first thing I ever tried in a dehydrator shouldn’t have been a bread. I did something wrong and it was a disaster :). So…I will start slow with fruits and veggies and get comfortable with the process before moving on to other things. I was bummed because I was really looking forward to it. Maybe I’ll try a cracker before attempting this one again. Thanks! -Susan

Sent from my iPad

• Alex June 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

There is a Buddhist guy in London UK,that teaches me Akido and he lives on just veaetgbles as well.he cures cancers and diabetes and lupus and only takes donations as well,just like Dan.bodybuddha.co.uk

2. FA Jahangir July 25, 2012 at 10:16 am #

How many “loaves” does this recipe make?

• Mama In The Kitchen July 25, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

You can make as many smaller or as few bigger pieces as you wish. I usually use 2 – 3 dehydrator trays.

3. Allisha September 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Hi, I’m allergic to flax. What can I use to substitute? Chia seeds maybe?

4. CS March 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

So you think i could sub hard wheat berries in this recipe? I can’t get a hold of soft ones in my area.

• MITK March 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Carla, you might try it. I think the bread would be too hard… I probably be more inclined to try it with oat groats… For a softer feel.

• CS March 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks for the response! Ill just have to keep searching for them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Typical Day of Food for My Family: All Vegan « - June 7, 2011

[…] had a lot of time and with all my raw food energy, by 9am the dehydrator was full of spinach chips, raw bread and oatmeal cookies AND the slow cooker was already cooking my family’s cooked Vegan lunch.  […]

2. Top 5 Appliances That Make This Raw Vegan Mama’s Life Easier « - June 8, 2011

[…] to get your family away from processed foods?  Try making them Veggie Chips, Raw Bread and Raw Oatmeal Cookies!  I also make my own raw flour by dehydrating sprouted grains or nuts or […]

3. Seven Questions with Mama in the Kitchen | Square Magazine - June 23, 2011

[…] Coconut Curry – this can be a soup or a sauce to any chopped veggies Raw Bread – smells and tastes like real bread but made with sprouted wheat, flax meal and coconut oil Raw […]